Dominion Energy EV Charger Rewards FAQ
- What is EV Charger Rewards?
- EV Charger Rewards is a program offered by Dominion Energy designed to help EV owners offset the cost of charging at home, by allowing Dominion Energy to make adjustments to their charging schedule or speed* to help manage impacts on the electrical system during periods of high electric demand. By participating in the program, you are helping manage energy demand on the electrical system during peak hours, times when energy usage dramatically increases. The EV Charger Rewards program seeks to take some of the strain off the grid during those busier times of the day to avoid costly upgrades to the electrical system. This will help Dominion Energy maintain reliability and affordability for all its customers.
- Join EV Charger Rewards by enrolling your qualifying new Level 2 charger and agreeing to let Dominion make brief adjustments to your charger’s energy use during periods of increased electric demand. You earn a $40 e-gift card on the anniversary of your enrollment, every year you remain enrolled.
- Adjustment events can occur any day of the week except on holidays. Typical event times are between 2-7pm during the summer and between 5-10am and 2-7pm during the winter. There are a maximum of 45 energy events per year. You will be notified before an event via your charger’s app. You can opt out of an event at any time by adjusting your charger back to its normal settings.
- Once you enroll in EV Charger Rewards, you can also earn a $125 rebate if your Level 2 charger was activated on or after March 1, 2021. Just submit a separate rebate application on our rebate portal at https://dominion.myrebateportal.com.
*How your charger responds to events is dependent on the specific charger purchased. See below in this FAQs for further details.
- Which EV chargers qualify for the program?
See the chart below for eligible charging equipment. Your charger must be installed and activated with internet connectivity prior to enrollment. Your Wi-Fi connection and EV charger(s) must be connected to your EV charger manufacturer’s account. You must have an account with your EV charger’s manufacturer to enroll in the program. If you do not have one, you will need to establish one prior to enrollment.
Model Name Model Number Type ChargePoint CPH12-L 12 Plug In/Hardwired ChargePoint CPH25 Plug In/Hardwired ChargePoint CPH12-P Plug In/Hardwired ChargePoint CPH50-NEMA14-50-L23 Plug In/Hardwired ChargePoint CPH50-NEMA6-50-L23 Plug In/Hardwired Enel X JuiceBox Pro 40 Plug In/Hardwired Enel X JuiceBox 40 Plug In/Hardwired Enel X JuiceBox 32 Plug In/Hardwired
- Where can I learn more about eligible chargers?
For more information about the charging equipment list above, please visit the manufacturers’ websites at https://www.chargepoint.com/ or https://www.enelx.com/. Customers must have one of the chargers listed above to be eligible for the EV Charger Rewards program at this time. As chargers from other manufacturers become eligible, we will add them to the list.
- How will I know if I am eligible for the program?
- The program is available to residential customers in Dominion Energy Virginia’s electric service territory who are on a residential rate schedule.
- You must be living in a single-family detached home (house, townhouse, mobile, modular).
- Customers already enrolled on the Off-Peak Plan or other Time of Use rates are not eligible to participate in this Program.
- Upon submitting my application, when will I be notified of my status in the program?
You will receive an email confirmation of your status in the program from the program administrator, EnergyHub. It could take up to four weeks to see an email confirmation of acceptance into the program.
- How will I receive my program incentive?
- If you remain in the program, the annual $40 incentive will be paid upon the anniversary of your enrollment in the form of an e-gift card.
- If you qualify for the one-time enrollment bonus, the $125 enrollment incentive will be issued via check after you have been enrolled in the program for approximately eight weeks. Your charger must have been activated on or after March 1, 2021 to qualify for the $125 enrollment incentive. A maximum of 2 new chargers per account can receive this bonus.
- Where can I find the terms and conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for the EV charger manufacturers here:
You can find Dominion Energy’s terms and conditions via its program page at https://www.dominionenergy.com/virginia/save-energy/ev-charger-rewards.
- How will I know that an energy event is in progress?
Depending on the EV charger manufacturer, notifications may appear before or at the start of the event in your web or mobile application. Please see below for more details.
- Will I be notified in advance of events?
The answer depends on the type of charger you have/purchase.
ChargePoint provides notifications via email, text message and in its app as soon as an event is scheduled. If an event is scheduled more than 24 hours before its start, then the notification will be sent 24 hours ahead.
- If an event is scheduled for a Wednesday between 5 pm and 9 pm on the previous Tuesday morning, a participating customer will receive a notification on Tuesday at 5 pm regarding the Wednesday 5 pm event.
- If an event is scheduled for a Wednesday between 5 pm and 9 pm on that Wednesday morning at 10 am, participating customers will receive an alert at 10 am.
- For more details on setting up ChargePoint notifications, please click here.
- At this time, Enel X does not provide notifications prior to an event.
- What should I expect during an event?
- When the event is in progress, the charger’s charging status either displays as paused or stopped or at a lower charge rate depending on the goal for the given energy event.
- Customers can tap on the “Utility Event” option in-app and turn participation off to continue charging as usual.
- The event will disappear from the in-app screen automatically once it ends. When the charger has a set charging schedule and there is an event during the scheduled charging time, the app screen will update to display when the charger will begin recharging on its set schedule based on the event duration.
- If the user turns the participation toggle off, the charging status updates from the scheduled time it would resume charging to “Not participating.”
- When an energy event is occurring, customers will be able to see “Smart Charge Event Underway” or “Control Event in Progress” flashing in their app (first screen) and online account dashboard.
- Customers can opt out of an energy event and start charging immediately by selecting the “Charge Now” option from the “Control” tab in the app or “Override: charge car now” in their online account dashboard.
- How will my EV charger be adjusted?
At the start of an event, your charger will be automatically adjusted to delay the vehicle charging. The adjustment will typically last no more than four hours and will not occur on holidays. Once the energy event is over, your charger will return to its normal operation. You can opt out of an event at any time from your charger manufacturer’s mobile app.
- Will participating in the program negatively impact my vehicle receiving a full charge?
Energy events will only temporarily delay the vehicle charging for up to a few hours. Depending on your charging schedule, there will be minimal impact to the ability for your vehicle to get the charge it needs every day.
- Am I allowed to opt out of energy events?
Yes. At any time during an event, you can opt out from your charger manufacturer’s web or mobile app.
- How do I opt out?
Customers can opt out of events in the following ways:
- Via a weblink opt-out option in the email and text message notifications.
- Via the Home Charger Utility Event section opt-out option in the app.
- Customers can opt out at any time during the event by choosing the “charge now” option in the app or “Override: charge car now” in their online account dashboard.
- Who can I contact if I have additional questions about the EV Charger Rewards program?
Send an email to email@example.com for more information